Monday, July 2, 2012

Who's writing our strong women super heros these days?

  What do you all think about the new 52 from DC? I have not started any of them even though I did get the collected Wonder Women in the mail from the Red Bank Secret Stash(Thank you Michael!).


 I went to the WonderCon panel about it and noticed that on stage there were no women. I know DC has women writers but for the launch panel discussion of the new 52 there were none represented. It made me wonder why that is. I know it is a hard field for women to get into as it has been a man's world mostly. But I also know there are many talented women comic book writers out there. Here is a GIANT list of them through the comic book history.  


 So why not have them on this panel? What is DC missing here? Sure Gail Simone and Ann Nocenti are writers on the list of the New 52 but why were they not there to show that women ARE writing? It made me wonder. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys i love but I am just saying there are only 2 women listed and they weren't on the panel representing that aspect of this new reboot of DC. I think this could really be a place for DC to shine if they really wanted to show that they are aware of this "new" aspect of their audience.  


 I am heading to ComicCon this year and I intent to do some asking. Understand I don't think I know much but I would love to know what is going on with comics that they seem to be missing this large potential market of women readership by not having comics write from some one who would understand their perspective.


 I know some of you who see this know so much more than me, so please share your insights in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment